When you ask the average American what their favorite foods are, their response is very likely to include pizza. In fact, the modern world sees pizza as the go-to meal option for a quick lunch during your work day, a special occasion, or any time when you cannot cook for one reason or another. It is quick, filling, and can even be considered nutritious when based with well-selected ingredients.
What you may not realize, however, is that there are many interesting facts about pizza that we at Imponente’ Pizza and Pasta think you should know in order to have the full experience the next time your order pizza in Fort Worth.
Let’s begin with general pizza facts:
- The earliest form of pizza dates back to Ancient Greece, Persia, etc., where cheese, garlic, salt and other ingredients were arranged on a flatbread and baked in the sun.
- The term “pizza” was first recorded in Gaeta, Italy, in 997 AD.
- The pizza we known today was first created in Naples, Italy, in the late 18th or early 19th century.
- The world’s largest pizza was made in Norwood, South Africa, by Norwood Hypermarket in 1990 – diameter 122.8’, weight 26,900 lbs.
- Gourmet pizza toppings include oysters, dandelions, artichoke hearts, Cajun shrimp, sprouts, crayfish, tuna, and eggplant.
- Popular pizza toppings in Japan include squid, mayonnaise, potatoes, and bacon.
- Eating pizza once a week can reduce your risk of esophageal cancer by up to 59%.
- The longest recorded distance for a pizza delivery was from Cape Town, South Africa, to Sydney, Australia.
Now, let’s move on to our national pizza facts and statistics:
- The most popular ethnic cuisine in the U.S. is Italian.
- On average, every American eats 46 slices of pizza each year.
- 3 billion pizzas are purchased in the U.S. each year – 1/3 of these are delivered.
- 252 million pounds of pepperoni is eaten each year.
- 350 slices of pizza are eaten every second.
- The days with the highest pizza deliveries are Super Bowl Sunday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and New Year’s Eve.
- The total number of pizza restaurants in the U.S. is 70,000 – 65% of these are independent.
- The number of pizza restaurants in New York alone is 9,000.
What is the most impressive Italian restaurant in Fort Worth, TX? We believe that it is none other than Imponente Pizza and Pasta, and we look forward to demonstrating that to each and every customer who walks through our door. Please call or visit us today!